Slow-Cooker Italian Multigrain Italian Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is slow-cooker magic. By placing everything in the pot at once, you can come home to a delicious and healthy dinner at the end of the long day.
1 whole spaghetti squash, washed thoroughly
1 1/2 C water
1/2 lb Italian sausage or seitan sausage, browned
1 C onion, chopped
1/2 lb baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C basil pesto sauce
1 C red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 C feta or vegan feta tofu, crumbled
1/4 C fresh herbs, chopped
1. In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, place water, grain, sausage, onion, mushroom and pesto
2. Stir to combine
3. Wash the outside of the squash and prick 10-15 times
4. Place squash on top of grain mixture, ensuring the lid closes tightly
5. Cook on low for 4-to-6 hours
6. Remove squash, place on a cutting board and let sit until cool to the touch
7. Half the squash lengthwise, scoop seeds from cavity and set them aside*
8. Shred flesh from the skin with a fork to create the spaghetti squash strands
9. Top with the grain mixture and garnish with chopped bell pepper and feta
10. Serve warm and enjoy!
*Don't discard those seeds! Use this recipe to create a delicious and nutritious snack.