Guest Recipe: Purple Corn Tortillas with Chef June Pagan of Purple Earth Cuisine
Have you ever tried to find fresh purple corn tortillas in the marketplace? They are a rare oddity and if you do find them, you will pay top dollar for them. Why not make your own version, with the addition of our Organic Purple Corn Flour, which contain anthocyanins, a powerful preventive polyphenol.
1 C minus 3 T Organic All Purpose Flour
½ t baking powder
½ t sea salt
5 T vegan shortening, cut into ½” dice
2/3 C warm water
Extra flour for the rolling surface
Yield: 10-12 tortillas, 7" - 9"
1. In a medium bowl or a food processer, place grains, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
2. Cut shortening into the flour mix, evenly, until it resembles coarse meal.
3. Slowly add the warm water, while pulsing or mixing until the dough comes away from the side of the bowl. The mixture should not be too wet. If there is leftover water, don’t worry about it.
4. Transfer ball of dough to a lightly floured surface. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 10-12 equal pieces and roll them into a ball. Cover with towel again.
6. Heat a large stainless steel or cast iron pan (my preference) over medium heat for 2 minutes. While the pan is heating, take your first round and place it on your lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the round into a 7-8” tortilla, or as thin as possible for a lighter result.
7. Transfer the lightly floured, rolled tortilla to the heated pan, Cook for one minute or until the bottom develops brown spots, turn over and cook another minute.
8. While the tortilla is cooking, roll your next tortilla on the floured surface.
9. Transfer the cooked tortilla to a paper lined plate. Repeat with all dough.
To see more of Chef June Pagan's recipes, you can go to her website and be the first to know about her new book, Purple Earth Cuisine, upon its release.